Welcome to the De Beers English Olympiad Website
This website enables schools to view their entries and results,
and provides information about the upcoming Olympiad.
2015 English Olympiad Winners!
Back row: Louisa Clayton (Grahamstown Foundation CEO & Chair of Olympiad Executive Committee); Elizabeth Herselman (SACEE Examiner); Robert MacGregor (Top 15 Chaperone); Josie Burness, Fairmont High School; Keegan Leech, St John's College, Jhb; Angus Thring, Bishops Diocesan College; Tawanda Mulalu, Maru-a-Pula, Botswana; Nonkululeku Sikakane (Tshikululu Social Investments); Ndana Tendayi (Top 15 Chaperone); Colleen Callahan (SACEE Chief Examiner)
Middle row: Jane Grindley (Olympiad Officer); Vamika Sinha, Maru-a-Pula, Botswana; Manu Huyssen, Somerset College; Emily Wedepohl, Trinityhouse High School, Rynhard de Bruyn, Helpmekaar Kollege; Nandini Kochar, Maru-a-Pula, Botswana; Rebecca Chetwin, St Teresa's School; Zaheerah Limbada, Merrifield College; Ingrid Wylde (Grahamstown Foundation Director, Arts Education)
Front row: Anne Peltason (SACEE Chairman Eastern Cape); Dr Sizwe Mabizela (Vice Chancellor - Rhodes University); Tamsin Metelerkamp - 3rd place, Rustenburg High School for Girls; Tsepo Monaledi (Head of De Beers Zimele); Hannah Fagan - 1st place, Camps Bay High School; Dr Malcolm Venter (Chairman SACEE National); Dr Diana Ayliff (SACEE Academic Co-ordinator)
Not in the picture: Jessica Craven - 2nd place, Northcliff High School; Aimee Fuller, Bridge House
Logging on to this website
Teachers-in-charge of entering candidates into the English Olympiad will be issued with a username and password to access their school’s entry and to check on the accuracy of their candidates names, grades, etc., and finally to see their results when they are released during June each year.
!! Paperless Online Entry Process Coming !!
We are currently developing a paperless, online entry process.
Teachers-in-charge of entering candidates into the English Olympiad will be able to enter their school’s information (school’s name, principal’s and teacher’s names, telephone, cell and email contact details and physical and postal addresses), directly onto this website.
The online entry process will do way with emailed and faxed entries and will allow teachers-in-charge to update/edit their entries online.
Please keep checking this website for further details.
2016 CALL FOR ENTRIES
Please click on the documents below to access the 2016 Call for Entries, the 2016 Entry Form and the Letter to Principals:
Call for Entries 2016 will be posted on this link on 30 July 2015
Entry Form 2016 will be posted on this link on 30 July 2015
2015 English Olympiad TOP 20 Announced in RANK ORDER!
|Rank||Title||First name||Last name||School|
|1||Ms||Hannah||Fagan||Camps Bay High School|
|2||Ms||Jessica||Craven||Northcliff High School|
|3||Ms||Tamsin||Metelerkamp||Rustenburg High School for Girls|
|4||Ms||Josie||Burness||Fairmont High School
|8||Mr||Keegan||Leech||St John's College, Jhb
|9||Ms||Emily||Wedepohl||Trinityhouse High School
|10||Ms||Rebecca||Chetwin||St Teresa's School
|15||Mr||Angus||Thring||Bishops Diocesan College|
|16||Ms||Azminah||Jhetam||Jeppe High Schools for Girls
|17||Ms||Jo-Anne||Pringle||Jeppe High Schools for Girls|
|19||Mr||Nicholas||Herd||Westville Boys' High School
|20||Ms||Emma||Johansson||St John's College, Jhb|
Click here for the RANK ORDER of the top 100 for 2015.
Click here for the official press release for July 2015.
Click here for an explanation of the symbols.
Saul Musker, 2nd place in the 2012 English Olympiad, reflects on writing the examination:
Isaac Asimov, the celebrated American science fiction writer, once declared: ‘If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster.’ Reading this quote, my mind wandered to the top-corridor English classroom where I recently wrote my last English Olympiad, with Mrs Leaver’s voice in the distance: ‘Six minutes left, everyone! Hurry along!’ Six minutes left! Lord have mercy! It wasn’t that I was worried about time; I had just finished my last piece, and was about to give it a final read-over. No; I owed my despair instead to the realisation that I would never write another Olympiad. For me, the Olympiad is more than just another exam or competition. It is protected time for creativity; a dedicated three hours devoted to writing. I only wish I could write one every day, to escape the usual chaos of our existence, to let the ink pour out of my grateful mind. F Scott Fitzgerald observed that ‘all good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.’ So dive, ye stranger! Submerge yourself in the cool green waters of your imagination, of the English language, of this moment in time!
News and Updates
- The RANK ORDER of the TOP 100 De Beers English Olympiad Winners was announced at a Prize Giving Ceremony attended by 700 grade 12s during the National Schools Festival on 16 July 2015 at 11h00!
- You can find the RANK ORDER of the Top 100 linked to this homepage. Look for the link on the left hand side of this news column.
- We congratulate all candidates who wrote the English Olympiad exam on Tuesday 3 March 2015 and who achieved a certificate!
- Certificates will be handed directly to schools attending the National Schools Festival in Grahamstown.
- Certificates for schools not attending the National Schools Festival in Grahamstown will be posted by ordinary mail to schools between 17-30 July 2015. Please look out for them in the post.
- The 2016 Call for Entries will be available on this website on 30th July 2015.
- The 2016 Theme will explore a journey into the dark places of the heart through literary extracts.
- The 2015 English Olympiad theme was: "Stories and Language of Mzansi" and the title of the anthology including 11 South African short stories was "Revelations and Transformations".
- Please contact the Olympiad Officer if you would like your school to receive Olympiad information for the 2016 English Olympiad.
- Looking for past exam papers, study inspiration or guidance for First Additional Language students? Go to the "Exam Materials" tab on this website for past exam papers and FAL Study Guides. For the 2015 theme you may also want to visit A DICTIONARY OF SOUTH AFRICAN ENGLISH ON HISTORICAL PRINCIPLES at: http://dsae.co.za/
- The De Beers English Olympiad was a DEVELOPMENT AWARD FINALIST in the 17th Annual Business Day Business Arts South Africa (BASA) Awards partnered by Hollard. The achievement was celebrated at the BASA Awards on 26 August 2014.
- OLYMPIAD OFFICE: 046 603 1145 / 07 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
The English Olympiad is a joint project between the Grahamstown Foundation, the South African Council for English Education (SACEE) and De Beers.
South African Council for English Education
South African Council for English Education (SACEE) National Website: http://www.sacee.org.za/
The De Beers Group of Companies
through the De Beers Fund,
has supported the English Olympiad for 29 years.
Prize partner and sponsor
Rhodes University has
sponsored the Top 50 Scholarhships
for 15 years.