Welcome to the De Beers English Olympiad Website
This website enables schools to view their entries and results,
and provides information about the upcoming Olympiad.
2014 English Olympiad Winners!
Back row: Ndana Tendayi (Olympiad Chaperone); Gianluca Truda (7th Michaelhouse); Izana Zaaiman (13th Afrikaanse Hoër Meisieskool, Pretoria);
4th row: Jane Grindley (Olympiad Officer); Louisa Clayton (Chairman: English Olympiad Executive Committee); Ricky Woods (SACEE: Head of Marking Centre); Liz Herselman (SACEE); Ingrid Wylde (Director: Arts Education); Mohammad Shabangu (Olympiad Chaperone)
3rd row: Pierre Durandt (5th Victoria Park High School); Heinrich Cox (15th Woodridge College); Karina de Kock (10th Pretoria High School for Girls); Tasneem Kathrada (14th St John's College); Thalia Rogers (12th St Mary's School, Waverley); Taryn Benade (8th Victoria Park High School); Mia McCarthy (6th Maris Stella)
1st row: Dr Malcolm Venter (SACEE: National Chairman); Dr Sizwe Mabizela (Acting Vice Chancellor Rhodes University); Nicholas Cullinan (2nd Bishops Diocesan College); Tsepo Monaledi (De Beers Zimele); Samuel Musker (1st Redhill high School); Caleb Dlamini (Tshikululu Social Investments); Anne Peltason (Chairman: SACEE Eastern Cape)
Not in the picture: Rahul Naidoo (3rd Bishops Diocesan College); Mikhail Kolabhai (4th St John’s College); Lauren Southwick (9th Maris Stella); Julia Jellema-Butler (11th Reddam House, Constantia)
Logging on to this websiteOnce you have entered and paid for your school's entries into the 2014 Olympiad, you will be issued with a login username and password which you can use to view your school's entries and details. Please contact the Olympiad Office if you need your username and password. Plese check your candidates details and let us know immediately if there are corrections that need to be made.
2015 CALL FOR ENTRIES
Please click on the documents below to access the 2015 Call for Entries, the 2015 Entry Form and the Letter to Principals:
2014 English Olympiad TOP 20 Announced in RANK ORDER!
|Rank||Title||First name||Last name||School|
|2||Mr||Nicholas||Cullinan||Bishops Diocesan College|
|3||Mr||Rahul||Naidoo||Bishops Diocesan College|
|4||Mr||Mikhail||Kolabhai||St John's College|
|5||Mr||Pierre||Durandt||Victoria Park High School|
|8||Ms||Taryn||Benade||Victoria Park High School|
|10||Ms||Karina||de Kock||Pretoria High School for Girls|
|11||Ms||Julia||Jellema-Butler||Reddam House, Constantia|
|12||Ms||Thalia||Rogers||St Mary's School, Waverley|
|13||Ms||Izana||Zaaiman||Afrikaanse Hoër Meisieskool, Pretoria|
|14||Ms||Tasneem||Kathrada||St John's College|
|16||Ms||Sana||Salduker||Durban Girls' College|
|17||Ms||Uvile||Binase||Kingsridge High School for Girls|
|19||Ms||Suzanne||Loots||Afrikaanse Hoër Meisieskool, Pretoria|
|20||Mr||Samuel||Sapire||St David's Marist, Inanda|
Click here for the RANK ORDER of the top 100 for 2014.
Click here for the official press release for July 2014.
Click here for an explanation of the symbols.
Saul Musker, 2nd place in the 2012 English Olympiad, reflects on writing the examination:
Isaac Asimov, the celebrated American science fiction writer, once declared: ‘If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster.’ Reading this quote, my mind wandered to the top-corridor English classroom where I recently wrote my last English Olympiad, with Mrs Leaver’s voice in the distance: ‘Six minutes left, everyone! Hurry along!’ Six minutes left! Lord have mercy! It wasn’t that I was worried about time; I had just finished my last piece, and was about to give it a final read-over. No; I owed my despair instead to the realisation that I would never write another Olympiad. For me, the Olympiad is more than just another exam or competition. It is protected time for creativity; a dedicated three hours devoted to writing. I only wish I could write one every day, to escape the usual chaos of our existence, to let the ink pour out of my grateful mind. F Scott Fitzgerald observed that ‘all good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.’ So dive, ye stranger! Submerge yourself in the cool green waters of your imagination, of the English language, of this moment in time!
News and Updates
- Entries are open for the 2015 English Olympiad.
- We encourage you to get your entries in soon!
- POSTAL OPTIONS: We are concerned about the affects of the postal strike on the delivery of study materials for 2015. We are offering Postnet alternatives to the Post Office service. Please let us know how you want your materials sent to you. Click HERE for details.
- 2015 MAIN CLOSING DATE: Wednesday 10th September 2104 (R110.00 per entry)
- 2015 LATE CLOSING DATE: Friday 31st October 2104 (R125.00 per entry)
- The 2015 English Olympiad theme is: "Stories and Language of Mzansi" and the title of the anthology including 11 South African short stories is "Revelations and Transformations". Copies of the Call for Entries were included in the packs of 2014 certificates sent to schools.
- The 2015 Call for Entries is available on this website. Please scroll down and click on the links to the left of this news column to download the 2015 Call for Entries, Entry Form and Letter to Principals. They can also be accessed under the tab "How to Enter".
- 2014 certificates were all posted by ordinary post Friday 1 August 2014. Please look out for them in the mail. Postage routed through the WITSPOS & TSHWANE mail centres has been affected by the Gauteng postal strike and so some certificates may take a while to arrive.
- All 2014 results are now available on this website to registered teachers with log on details.
- The Rank Order of the Top 100 was announced at a prestigious Prize Giving Ceremony held on 17 July 2014 in the Guy Butler Theatre of the 1820 Settlers National Monument. A Top 100 Rank Order List can be downloaded by clicking on the link to the left on this home page.
- The De Beers English Olympiad was a DEVELOPMENT AWARD FINALIST in the 17th Annual Business Day Business Arts South Africa (BASA) Awards partnered by Hollard. The achievement was celebrated at the BASA Awards on 26 August 2014.
- OLYMPIAD OFFICE: 046 603 1145 / Email: email@example.com
PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
The English Olympiad is a joint project between the Grahamstown Foundation, the South African Council for English Education (SACEE) and De Beers.
South African Council for English Education
South African Council for English Education (SACEE) National Website: http://www.sacee.org.za/
The De Beers Group of Companies
through the De Beers Fund,
has supported the English Olympiad for 29 years.
Prize partner and sponsor
Rhodes University has
sponsored the Top 50 Scholarhships
for 15 years.